One of the best ways to reduce your energy costs is through spray foam insulation installation. It can be used in both new construction or existing homes, and spray foam insulation offers insulating versatility and flexibility that is simply not available with conventional insulation systems such as cellulose or fiberglass.
We’ve compiled five ways your home and family would benefit from having spray foam insulation professionally installed in your home, starting with the one reason top of mind for many of us in Maine – reducing heating costs in the winter.
1. Reduce heating bill: Heating costs can get expensive, especially when you live in a cold New England climate. Spray foam insulation reduces air leaks into your home by forming a solid barrier that virtually stops air filtration, which greatly reduces heat loss during the winter months. Most homeowners who have their homes insulated with spray foam report energy savings of 30-60%. As a result in the energy savings, spray foam insulation essentially pays for itself within four years of installation.
2. Reduce or eliminate freezing pipes and ice dams: If your home often suffers from ice dams or freezing pipes, spray foam insulation can help. Ice dams form when heat escaping from a home warms the roof sheathing and melts the underside of the layer of snow on the roof. The resulting water trickles down the roof to the eaves, where it freezes and gradually forms ice dams. By adding improved insulation, such as spray foam, less heat escapes your roof, which means your home is much less likely to experience ice dams forming. By adding spray foam to walls, the added insulation will help protect pipes from the cold and prevent burst pipes.
3. Stop heat gain in summer: Spray foam insulation is equally effective at reducing the amount of heat that gets into your home during the summer. Heat can enter your home from the outside, and also move indirectly within your house through ceilings, walls and floors. The addition of spray foam insulation in your home will reduce the amount of heat moving throughout each room. The result – a cooler home and reduced cooling costs.
4. Improved air quality: If you or a loved one suffers from allergies, air quality is a major concern. Spray foam insulation forms an excellent air barrier. It not only reduces that amount of air seeping into your home, it can also help improve air quality by minimizing the amount of mold, pollen, dust and other allergens entering your house. As a result, once you add spray foam insulation everyone in your home will breathe a little easier.
5. Noise reduction: If your home is located on a busy street, or you find that sound carries easily within your house, you could definitely benefit from spray foam insulation. By providing an extra layer of insulation, foam insulation reduces noise by approximately 80% both within the home and without.
If you are interested in learning more about how professionally installed spray foam insulation could benefit you and your home, contact the experts at Seal-It Insulation Systems today. Seal-It is the leading spray foam insulation expert in Maine and in 1998 became the first company in the state to offer spray foam insulation. Seal-It has multiple rigs and crews so we are able to support any size project. Contact us today at (207) 613-7960 for a free consult and estimate.